Sunday, July 13, 2008

Junk replies...

You see my tattered shelves and rusting sides---
Would you love me enough to keep me in fit repair?
Could you love me enough to keep me in my youth?

The proudest tools this nation ever built!
We charge fresh hills to bring power and energy
to drive the motors West.
I am rusted and resting,
Kiss my scraping lips!
The melting point of silver flame kissed my aluminum arm
At the hands of rebels who philosophize against technology.
Take a look at my feet (see where they pierced me!)---
Rubber scraped black paws spun on jagged roads of coal.

See my family tossed loose!
Taking strength in what remains,
When we were shiny and full of new beer
In plastics of blue and green---
Now our exposed bodies in the rainstorm ---
Senescent…
obsolescent.

You left us to decay in a fractured sanctuary
On the altar of broken idols.

The melted can kneels before the cracked saints
Where little wrens dart to and fro
Singing hymns to subjunctive hypotheticals…
Sculpted into flame fading into soil.
Oh, come again! Come again!

Jealousy for new things
Slippery cemeteries
Forlorn parks
Decades tossed to the wind.
The immobility of bronze toys, heaping games
And fortunes won and lost.

No comments: